First things first, we’d just like to say a huge Happy New Year, from all of us at Hewitt Adams. 2018 was certainly an incredible year for us and we’re excited to see what 2019 holds!
But it’s not always sunshine and rainbows. It’s easy to get caught up in the bliss of Christmas and feel taken aback by the looming New Year. Making resolutions, looking back on events from the previous year, playing catch-up with your finances – all these things can certainly put a downer on January. But it doesn’t have to be that way! There are many ways you can cheer yourself up and beat the January blues.
These are our top tips for starting off the new year and feeling great
As always, we love to talk about our local area and what’s on nearby. There’s so much going on that’s sure to put a smile on your face on the Wirral and surrounding areas this January. However, we thought we’d start by giving some overall tips on improving your mood and wellbeing at the start of a new year!
Try to go outdoors as much as you can
It may be tempting to spend the entire month of January locked way with your Netflix subscription. But this isn’t going to help your mood. Stretch your legs as much as possible and breathe in some fresh air each day if you can – even if this means popping outside of the office on your lunch break. Realistically, not everyone is going to hit the gym 5 times a week but a little outdoor exercise can really do wonders.
Create small, achievable goals rather than vague ‘resolutions’
“Get better at running”, “read more”, “save more money” – these are all common New Year’s resolutions. However, they’re likely to end in failure as they’re not specific or achievable enough. How will you know when you’ve reached the goal? Try things like: “be able to run 5K by summer”, “read 50 books by the end of the year” and “save £600 for a holiday by August”. These are tangible, measurable resolutions.
Spend time with friends and family
You might feel worn out after the Christmas festivities but this time of year is more important than ever to keep in touch with people! Even if you’re feeling okay, one of your friends or family members might not be. And you don’t have to spend money to socialise – simply arrange the time to spend together, catch up and share any worries or concerns you might have.
Plan things to look forward to
This is a great way to spend time with friends! Plan things to do together, whether it be next week or in a few month’s time. Whether you want to go abroad, for a weekend break or even a day out somewhere, having something to look forward to can really shift your mental state.
How to beat the January blues on the Wirral
Now, let’s get to the local stuff. If you’re following us on social media or regularly check our website, chances are you’re local to the Wirral or planning on moving here! Great choice, by the way. From fitness classes to
- Browse the fantastic fresh produce at the Wirral Farmers Market – second Saturday of each month at New Ferry Hall.
- Take a walk along the beach at West Kirby, Hoylake and Thurstaston, picking up any litter as you go. Do your bit for the environment!
- From pilates to body pump to Tai Chai, there are loads of group classes for you to try out. And if you’re looking for a dedicated fitness centre to achieve your goals, we recommend no other than Zone Fitness in Neston, run by our good friend Gaz. He can even tailor 6 and 12-week plans for new members! Check out their Facebook here.
- Enjoy a good old Sunday roast in one of the many local pubs. The Jug & Bottle in Heswall is a firm favourite, along with Burnt Truffle or The Fox & Hounds – depending on your preferences.
- Relax and unwind at one of the many arts & crafts shops on the Wirral. You never know, you might find a new hobby!
- And finally, you could treat yourself to a spa day, if you’re feeling frivolous. Why not try out a package at Thornton Hall Hotel, Hillbark Hotel or Village Spa Wirral?
If you’re thinking of putting your home on the market or finding a new home this January, don’t hesitate to get in touch with us. This could be the start of your best year yet!